Friday, September 13, 2013

A Very Interesting Week



Well hello there family!!! 

This has been one very interesting week! But first let me say that I am perfectly fine and okay! So I woke up Monday morning around 5 to some extremely excruciating pain in my back, enough so that I couldn't move without it hurting. So I just lay there until my alarm clock went off, and I thought maybe if I stood up, it would help. So I went to turn my alarm clock off, but I could barely stand, let alone walk. But you see, the pain was in the muscles in my back and not my spine itself, so it really wasn't that big of a deal. But it killed, and I thought I might as well tell my companions. 

Well, after trying to figure out what to do, Elder Bohn just used the hall phone to call the front desk. And the front desk decided to send me to the emergency room. A little dramatic. But wait, it gets better. So they wheeled me out to a car in a wheelchair, during some heavy rain. Elder Bohn and I got in the car and they drove us to the ER. I was in one of those funky hospital dresses and everything. It was really funny because it was wayyyyy too much. Elder Bohn and I were like "whaaatt...the ER?". But it was either lay in my bed or figure out whats wrong. And the MTC decided the Emergency Room could figure out whats wrong. So basically the diagnosis was my back was having muscle spasms that were pinching nerves. Kind of lame. But it hurt like crazy. Anyways, they gave me morphine and then prescribed me a muscle relaxant to loose the tension in my back. So basically, I was high for pretty much all Monday and Tuesday. The muscle relaxant makes me really dizzy and loopy, plus the morphine...It was quite an adventure. But I am okay so no need to worry! All Monday, Elder Nash stayed with me since he was super sick. But everyone here is good now! haha it was quite a week! Nobody worry about my back because I am 100% fine. I got a bunch of worried letters, but I am perfectly fine!



So Monday and Tuesday are just a blur, but Tuesday night, I was able to make it to the devotional, where we heard from one of the members of the Quorum of the Seventy. I forget his name, but it was really great. He said that when he was a teenager, he asked his mom, "Why is the Gospel so selfish? We are obedient so we can receive blessings from the Lord for ourselves. Isn't that a little bit selfish?" and his mom replied, "The Lord blesses us for our obedience so we can learn to trust him. Then there comes a point when we trust him so much that we do his will, regardless of the blessings or not." That hit me really hard. It's so true. I want you all to think on what that means to you, but let me tell you this. I know that this Gospel is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it with all my heart. There is no other way to find true happiness than through faith and obedience to our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know it. 

Anyways, this week has also been pretty great. Our district moved classrooms to a different building this week. It has a great view, but I'm not sure whether or not I like the desks. Our district have also been the ones to have way too many teachers. Normally, you have 2 for the entire MTC experience, but we've had like 7 so far. The first week, our teacher wasn't here so we had 2 subs. Then, along side Sister Pettita, we got Brother Messias, but he moved to Texas, so we got Brother McGlaughlin. But then the MTC switched Sister Pettita to a different district, so now we have Brother McGill. Its been pretty crazy, but I'm really grateful. Having so many different teachers with different Portuguese accents has really helped me to understand Portuguese a lot better. Sometimes the Lord gives us these trials, but they are actually blessings in disguise.

So we had a cool experience teaching a lesson this week. Elder Snow, Elder Bohn and I were teaching one of our "investigators" about the Restoration. After Elder Snow gave an incredible discussion on the Apostasy, Elder Bohn started talking about the Prophet Joseph Smith. While he was talking, he started to recite the first vision (now keep in mind, these lessons are completely in Portuguese). The Spirit filled the room so much, and I have never heard Elder Bohn say the first vision so perfectly. It was truly amazing. Then I had the opportunity to teach about the Book of Mormon and its importance, and then I bore my testimony. The Spirit filled the room again and it was such a marvelous experience. We challenged him to continue to read the Book of Mormon, but especially with his family, and to pray to know whether or not it's true. Of course, the investigator is just an actor, but it was an incredible experience that was enhanced by the amazing feeling of the Spirit. Wow. It was marvelous.

Anyways, I love you guys so much and it is crazy to think that mom starts school on the 14th! WOW. When are you guys moving? Thats incredible. Mike, date a bunch of pretty English girls. Katie, don't talk to one boy at all. And someone go give Sam a huge hug for me and let him know how happy and proud I am of him. Can someone also get a copy of his book and put it in my keepsakes in the basement? Obrigado! I love you guys so much! I have been missing the east coast a ton. All my companions are from the east coast, so we can sympathize. But I get my reassignment in 1 week!!! CRAZY! I am so excited! I hope I get sent to the east coast. That would be sooooo cool. Or Long Beach California, of course. But anywhere the Lord needs me, I will serve with all my might, mind, and strength.

I love you guys a ton and thanks for the letters! Choose the right and do good stuff and all that jazz. Peace out. 
-Elder Hintze 

No comments:

Post a Comment